Friday 4 January 2013

What is steampunk?

Well, the other week I was stalking DoA as usual, hanging out in the Projects boards, when I found out a project started by this girl named cthulhu, that was doing a steampunk fusion gown, between a victorian outfit and a kimono. At first I was like "WTH?" but then I entered the topic I read all the post to get informed. I was amazed by her abilities, and by the dress she was making.

So, a couple days ago I went to my mom's, and told her about this dress. The reaction I got was "What is steampunk, anyways?" and... I didn't knew how to answer that. I only met steampunks dresses thru the BJD hobby, and even if I have seen some amazing things and customs, I didn't had a clue of what steampunk was.

And that is how I decided to do a little research on the matter and put it up here, because someday I will make some steampunk fashion for costuming or doll-cosplaying, given by the fact that I don't know if I want to have a exclusive steampunk-themed doll.

Ok, Wikipedia sais some interesting things, so lets quote it a little:
Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery, especially in a setting inspired by industrialized Western civilization during the 19th century. Therefore, steampunk works are often set in an alternate history of the 19th century's British Victorian era or American "Wild West", in a post-apocalyptic future during which steam power has regained mainstream use, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power.
 Wikipedia also sais this:
Steampunk also refers to any of the artistic styles, clothing fashions, or subcultures, that have developed from the aesthetics of steampunk fiction, Victorian-era fiction, and films from the mid-20th century. Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk.
 Going back to the bjd-related things, we can found many items stylized this way. For example, two of my favorites steampunks limited dolls, are from Soom Rosette Schools of Dolls, that you can see in the pics below:

Soom Rosette -  Delilah, Iron Laced Lady

Soom Rosette - Violet, Wings of Tomorrow

But dolls costumes aren't the only themed thing, you can also find eyes, shoes, and some mods with the steampunk topic as a main director.

Well, after all of this ranting I believe I'm pretty informed, and will start sketching some outfits, to see what I got. Someday I will sew them. Someday.

BTW, a friend of mine is helping me to post a comparison post between almost all Iplehouse male sizes, so stay tunned if it interest you, I guess I will have it up next week at the most.

PS! The pics in this post belongs to Soom Rosette! They aren't mine!

Musume

2 comments :

  1. Great post! I also didn't quite knew what Steampunk actually was, so this was really helpful. :)

    And I'm very interested in comparisons of Iplehouse men. I have both an EID and several SID men on my wishlist, so it would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was helpful to you too!

      About the comparison, she has from JID to EID men, so I'm sure it will be interesting :3 Thanks for passing by!

      Delete