Sunday 2 July 2017

Interview with The Ugliest Wife

Hello there! Another month means another interview! Today, I have the pleasure of introducing Kasia from The Ugliest Wife faceup service :D She does amazing work on BJDs, and also works and collects Blythes. As always, all images are used with permission, and the text is both in English and Spanish. So, without further ado... let's start!

Hello and thank you for doing the interview! Would you introduce yourself to our readers?
Hello, thank you for having me! My name is Kasia, aka theugliestwife, and I create custom face-ups on dolls. I am based in beautiful part of Poland, where dogs are happy and grass is always green (well almost!). ;)
¡Hola, y gracias por hacer la entrevista! ¿Te introducirías para los lectores?
¡Hola, y gracias por invitarme! Mi nombre es Kasia, también conocida como theugliestwife, y yo realizo maquillajes personalizados en muñecas. Me encuentro en una hermosa zona de Polonia, donde los perros son felices y el césped es siempre verde (bueno, ¡casi siempre!) ;)

Faceup on Minifee Sia and LittleMonica Irina.


Let’s start with the basics. How did you meet BJDs? Do you have artistic background?
First time I’ve met BJDs was about 2012 through Pinterest and I was too thrilled to believe these dolls actually existed. The variety of brands and sculpts impressed me, it was so different from toy dolls for girls. I started exploring this topic and I learned about OOAK and artistic dolls. Back then there was a big hype around vinyl dolls such as Monster Highs, so I started to make my very own OOAKs of them, since they were easily accessible. I have always been a ‘creative soul’, but as a professionally trained beautician I have never had any interest in studying art. However I used to make art projects just for fun since I was a kid. Also my mum is a theatre puppeteer, so I grew up around stage dolls and props.
Empecemos con lo básico. ¿Cómo conociste las BJDs? ¿Tienes formación artística?
La primera vez que encontré las BJDs fue en el 2012 a través de Pinterest, y estaba demasiado maravillada para creer que esas muñecas realmente existían. La variedad de marcas y moldes me impresionó, ya que eran tan diferentes de los juguetes para niñas. Comencé a explorar este tema y encontré las muñecas OOAK y artísticas. En ese momento había un gran interés en muñecas de vinilo como las Monster Highs, dado que eran accesibles. Siempre he sido un ‘alma creativa’, pero como una estilista profesionalmente entrenada, nunca tuve interés en estudiar arte. Sin embargo, cuando era niña solía hacer proyectos de arte sólo para divertirme. Además, mi madre hace marionetas de teatro, así que crecí entre muñecas de escenarios y otras cosas.

Faceup on PashaPasha Pulse and Dollshe Amanda.


Your face-ups are amazing and very realistic! How did you started offering face-ups commissions? Do you work with commission slots?
Thank you so much! I started offering face-up commissions shortly after I created a couple of Monster High OOAKs. And when I got my first BJD (which was Minifee Chloe) I started working on resin dolls. I make face-ups constantly since then, working with clients from around the world. I usually need about 6-8 weeks to finish a single doll, depending on how complicated look it needs. Because I am pretty busy daily, I don’t put commission slots monthly, just work on variety of dolls at once, so I am always open for new projects! I’ve painted over 200 dolls for an individual order so far!
¡Tus maquillajes son increíbles y muy realistas! ¿Cómo empezaste a ofrecer comisiones? ¿Trabajas con slots?
¡Muchas gracias! Comencé a ofrecer comisiones al poco tiempo de haber creado algunas Monster High OOAK. Cuando compré mi primera BJD (que fue una Minifee Chloe) comencé a trabajar en muñecas de resina. Desde entonces, constantemente hago maquillajes, trabajando con clientes de todo el mundo. Usualmente necesito de 6 a 8 semanas por muñeca, dependiendo de cuán complicado sea el trabajo. Dado que estoy muy ocupada, no coloco slots mensualmente, sino que trabajo en una variedad de muñecas al mismo tiempo, ¡así que siempre estoy abierta a nuevos proyectos! ¡En un año he pintado más de 200 muñecas!


You also work on Blythes! Do you also mod them?
I started working on Blythes not so long ago, I fully customized my own Blythe called Petunia and the second one, which was for my friend. I made them new eye chips, new face and lid makeup and modded them. Therefore I don’t have much skill in carving, my mods are quite simple. I offer makeup and basic mods for Blythes, however I don’t purchase them. These dolls require so much attention, so I need way more time to work on them than on regular BJD face-ups. I also work in collaboration with Blythe sculptor, making face-ups for already carved Blythes.
¡También trabajas con Blythes! ¿También haces las modificaciones?
Comencé a trabajar en Blythes no hace tanto. Personalicé mi propia Blythe llamada Petunia y la segunda, que era para mi amiga. Les hice nuevos chips para los ojos, nuevo maquillaje, pintura en los párpados y las modifiqué. No tengo mucha habilidad en carving, así que mis modificaciones son sencillas. Ofrezco modificaciones básicas y maquillajes para Blythes, pero no las compro. Estas muñecas requieren mucha atención, así que necesito más tiempo que para maquillajes de BJDs. También trabajo en colaboración con un escultor de Blythes, haciendo maquillajes para cabezas ya modificadas.

Two Blythes with TheUgliestWife faceup and eyelids, and modded by NDsDollys


Do you have a workplace to share with us? How do you organize to do face-ups?
My working space is quite small, actually it’s just a computer desk. I like to listen to music or peek on my favorite movies while I paint dolls. Regarding my working system, I paint bunch of heads in parts, instead of focusing on just one doll at a time. For example - sometimes I have about 5-10 heads prepared just for their brows to be painted. Each one is waiting for its turn! For me it is much more flexible to paint a single head in small steps. Because resin is very delicate and not sun friendly I keep heads in plastic shelves, to which I have convenient access.
¿Tienes algún espacio de trabajo para compartir con nosotros? ¿Cómo te organizas para hacer los maquillajes?
Mi espacio de trabajo es muy pequeño, de hecho, sólo es un escritorio de computadora. Me gusta escuchar música o mirar mis películas favoritas mientras pinto muñecas. Respecto a mi sistema de trabajo, pinto muchas cabezas en partes, en lugar de trabajar en una por vez. Por ejemplo, a veces tengo 5~10 cabezas preparadas para pintar sólo las cejas, ¡cada una esperando su turno! Para mí es más flexible pintar una cabeza en pequeños pasos. Dado que la resina es muy delicada y no es amigable al sol, mantengo las cabezas en estanterías plásticas, a las cuales tengo un rápido acceso.



I’m honestly curious. Your nickname and face-up service are named “The Ugliest Wife”. Why did you choose it? Does it have a story or meaning?
There isn’t any story behind my nickname unfortunately! The name was created a couple years before I named my face-up service and I wanted to keep it. I am a big fan of uncommon names! I always thought that usually our first idea when naming something is to add adjectives like ‘lovely’ or ‘sweet’. Even though I love sweets, ‘ugly’ is still such a pretty word, hehe. ;)
Honestamente, tengo curiosidad. Tu nick y tienda de maquillaje se llaman “La Esposa Fea”. ¿Por qué lo elegiste? ¿Tiene alguna historia o significado?
¡Desafortunadamente, no hay una historia para mi nombre! Lo creé unos años atrás antes de nombrar mi servicio de maquillaje, y quise conservarlo. ¡Soy una fan de los nombres poco comunes! Siempre he creído que la primera idea que viene cuando se nombra algo es agregar adjetivos como ‘adorable’ o ‘dulce’. Aún cuando me encantan los dulces, ‘feo’ es una palabra bonita, jeje ;)


Your face-ups have lots of colors and texture, and even do manicure. Do you have a personal favorite? And a most popular face-up?
Thank you! Actually I don’t consider any of my work as my favorite, but I think face-ups with veins included drew a lot of attention from my viewers. I have to say that painting veins, bruises or any other imperfections is something I really enjoy. I love freckles too!
Tus maquillajes tienen muchos colores y texturas, e incluso realizes manicura. ¿Tienes un favorite personal? ¿Y uno más popular?
¡Gracias! De hecho, no considero nada de mi trabajo como un favorito, pero creo que los maquillajes que tienen venas llaman mucho la atención de mis seguidores. Tengo que decir que pintar venas, moretones u otras imperfecciones es algo que disfruto mucho. ¡También me encantan las pecas!

Faceups with imperfections on Or-Doll Hakurin and Unoa Sist


And what about your own personal doll collection? Do you have a favorite size or brand?
I’m not a doll collector, but I have a couple of dolls and figures. My very first BJD, modded Minifee Chloe called India, is still with me and I have a tan Iplehouse JID Cordelia, which is still in her box. My little glass display case also keeps a custom Blythe, NECA Coraline, old-fashioned Barbie and some Nendoroids, and Funko Pops. So nothing impressive! As for BJDs, I like adult dolls with classic, feminine style.
¿Y sobre tu colección personal de muñecas? ¿Tienes un tamaño o marca favorita?
No soy coleccionista, pero tengo algunas muñecas y figuras. Mi primera BJD, una Minifee Chloe modificada llamada India aún está conmigo, y tengo una Iplehouse JID Cordelia en tan que aún está en su caja. Mi display de vidrio también tiene una Blythe custom, NECA Coraline, algunas barbies vintage y algunos Nendoroids y Funko Pops. ¡Nada impresionante! Respecto a las BJDs, me gustan las muñecas adultas con un estilo clásico y femenino.

Kasia's dolls: Petunia (Blythe) and India (Minifee Chloe)


Let’s go back to face-ups. Are there any materials that are your favorites? Have you changed your supplies over time?
My definitely favorite materials are paints – watercolors and gouaches. I love pearl and sparkly acrylics too. My inner magpie is also filled with joy when done face-up includes any glittery or sparkly additions! I like to collect small brushes for painting hair strokes. I have to say that brows are my little obsession and I enjoy painting them the most! I haven’t changed much of my materials over time, however about two years ago I started to seal face-ups with airbrushed non-toxic sealants. It’s really handy indeed!
Volvamos a los maquillajes. ¿Cuáles son tus materiales favoritos? ¿Los has cambiado con el tiempo?
Mis materiales favoritos son pituras, acuarelas y gouaches. Mi niña interior se llena de alegría cuando los maquillajes requieren que use adicionales brillantes o de glitter! Me gusta coleccionar pinceles pequeños para hacer los trazos de cabello. Tengo que decir que las cejas son mi pequeña obsesión ¡y disfruto mucho pintándolas! No he cambiado mis materiales con el tiempo, aunque hace dos años comencé a sellar los maquillajes con selladores no tóxicos usando el aerógrafo. ¡Realmente es muy útil!


Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
I feel so happy to be a part of amazing BJD world, a place where I’ve met so many incredible people! I am very thankful for support from my viewers – because of you I want to continue this great adventure. I am planning many exciting doll projects and giveaways in the future, so stay tuned!
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
Estoy muy feliz de ser parte del increíble mundo de BJDs ¡un lugar donde he conocido a tanta gente increíble! Estoy muy agradecida por el apoyo de mis seguidores: por ustedes quiero continuar esta gran aventura. Estoy planificando muchos proyectos muy interesantes y giveaways en el futuro, así que manténganse al tanto!


Thank you so much for doing the interview! :D
Thank you and good luck to you all! :)
¡Muchas gracias por hacer la entrevista! :D
Gracias a ti, ¡y suerte a todos! :)

Faceup on Minifee Nanuri14


And that was all for today! I honestly loved this interview as Kasia's work is amazing. You can find her on the following sites:
Also, feel free to share the link, but do not repost the interview. If you want to translate it to yet another language, let me know, first! Anyways, hope you enjoyed this interview, and have a perfect new month!

16 comments :

  1. It was interesting reading this interview and Kasia's work is stunning. Thanks for sharing this Musume, I had no idea she existed before. :)
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you liked it! I'm always super happy to help share artists' work on the BJD community :D

      Delete
  2. This was an interesting interview. I didn't expect her to not be much of a BJD collector herself, somehow. I hope to commission her someday.
    Thanks for sharing the interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That always surprise me, though. I always expect anyone on the hobby to be a collector as well, though! Glad you liked the interview!

      Delete
  3. Her work is amazing! Thanks for sharing with us as always <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, indeed! Glad you liked the interview :D

      Delete
  4. I have seen some of her work at the social media and I have always reacted on the name, but I agree with her thoughts on the word 'ugly'. There is some beauty in it. Her work is stunning! Thanks for sharing another nice interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I had to ask that, I way too curious xD
      Glad you enjoyed the interview!

      Delete
  5. This was very interesting to read! Kasia makes some absolutely stunning face-ups. ♥
    I'm actually planning to commission her in the near future to paint one of my girls. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it interesting! She does amazing work, that is true!
      I do hope you can commission her :D

      Delete
  6. Thank you for asking about her username, I've always been curious! :D Great interview as always. <3

    (btw, the MNF at the bottom is a New Family head, not a Nanuri'14)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked that because I was curious too xD Glad you enjoyed the interview!
      And thanks, I will change it :D

      Delete
  7. Muy interesante la entrevista. Me agradó que le preguntaras por el nombre porque es realmente llamativo. Muy buena e interesante. El trabajo de esta artista es hermoso. También quedé fascinada con las cejas, son muy reales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Me alegro que te gustara! Hace unos trabajos hermosos ¿verdad?

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the interesting interview. And I am sorry I don't really comment that much, I've been following your blog for quite a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the interview!! I'm happy you have been reading my blog, hope you find it useful and entertaining! :D

      Delete