Monday 17 July 2017

Lacy Regency

Thing was... I got bitten by the I need to sew something historical bug, followed by the OMG I love Regency gowns bug. I wanted to try something different for me, and wanted to make a lacy Regency gown... and my mom loves to put that girly stuff on her doll Calina, so I thought it would be the perfect occasion to make another dress for her.


Anyways, this post only contains dress photos, since I'm so proud of this gown (and my mom loved it!!). However, I have some hopefully funny anecdotes to share, about me fighting the fabrics and patterns. More under the cut!









So, I grabbed Calina, and I had this very specific idea of what I wanted to sew... and when I went to find the fabrics, the amount of the flowerish lace for the top was so small! I did an ultra careful planning and positioning and managed to use what I had.

Also, I wanted to make a one-piece skirt in order to avoid lateral seams on the swiss-dots-tulle (which in here is known by a different name), so here I was calculating and measuring the pattern just like in this meme xD

Okay, time for ugly full body shots. I cannot seem to make this look nice D:








And another thing happened when I was taking the photos! I set everything up... and the autofocus wouldn't work! I was desperate! When I got my DSLR in 2014 (second hand, though), I started using it in A-Mode, and only by the end of 2016 I dared to start using the full M-Mode... but I always put the focus on automatic, as I suck trying to use it manually. I spent like 40 minutes cleaning the contact between the lens and the camera body, then making sure the switches were correctly on automatic.

I was desperate, because it was the first sunny Saturday in two weeks, and the camera service only works on week days afternoons! What would I do? And then, I found a website that said to check the AE-L button, but using the peek thing (viewfinder?), not the screen (as I was doing). And suddenly I got an itch on my eye, and scrubbed it hard... so when I put my eye on the viewfinder, I saw everything blurry xD But I kept trying and then I found it: the damn AE-L button was locking my autofocus!!!

Gosh, second scare this camera gives me with the autofocus!! I need to take it to a service ASAP. My photography knowledge is too limited, as well as my time to learn more about them D:







And this is all for today!! I really loved how this dress turned out, to be honest. And I'm happy my mom liked it too, since I made it for her. Now I need to think how to make a male outfit for Venezia, because I have the itch of doing a lacy Regency for Coco... but it is not of Venezia's style. I was considering doing something like Lady Catherine's outfits in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I loved that movie, honestly!

Oh well, do you have any dolly projects going one? Have an awesome weekend and new week too!

10 comments :

  1. I just love this dress, so beautiful and well made. It suits Calina well, so I can understand that your mom likes it too!
    And that meme - so funny. :D My brain would overheat by such calculating. I am glad that the laze was enough - well done with the measuring!
    Beautiful photos as always! :) Enjoy the coming new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, you are too kind!

      And that meme! I honestly do a lot of measuring and calculating to get the patterns, and more than once I have started laughing out of nowhere, thinking that I'm doing that meme myself xD

      Glad you liked the photos!

      Delete
  2. El vestido des maravilloso!!! Una obra de arte y Calina se ve tan femenina y tierna. Las fotos están buenísimas aunque te hayas llevado un susto mientras las tomabas. Coses la ropa tan hermosamente que me dejas con la boca abierta. Te felicito.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Me alegro mucho que te guste :D
      Al final, la cámara sí se rompió al final, y no se consiguen los repuestos D:

      Delete
  3. I love the lace layering you've done on this dress x3
    As for autofocus not working, it happened to me a lot on my older camera :O it was easily fixed by removing and re-attaching my lens xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I wanted to make something lacy too <3

      The thing about the camera is not that simple, sadly. Apparently the connection part was broken, and the lens did not adjust perfectly to the body. That forced the inside mechanishms which ended up breaking the autofocus. It "works" in some ranges (since it is a 18-55mm lens) but in others it doesn't. The repair professional told me it is fixable, but we cannot get the electronics parts on the country D:

      Delete
  4. Calina is lucky with all the beautiful clothes you make for her. This dress is no exception! I'm in love with those cute puff sleeves. ♥
    I'm glad to hear that you somewhat got the problem with your camera fixed. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I loved those sleeves too <3

      Delete
  5. You keep amaze me with your creations! This dress is gorgeous. I love how romantic and princess alike Calina is. She looks like she's come right out of a fairytale :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so much, that is so kind of you to say!! :D
      I'm so happy you liked this dress <3

      Delete