Sunday 4 June 2017

Interview with AllThatGlitters

Hi there!! It is time for another interview! This month I had the pleasure of working with PuppetKuhi from AllThatGlitters Eyes, a Chinese artist that makes high quality and very small urethane eyes, and also lovely tiny dolls. I need to give a special thanks to Eugenio Ruspoli for acting as a translator.

Also, this interview contains owner photos that I'm using with permission. In particular, I need to thank AraDolls (find her on IG!), FantasyWoods (read her blog), NaturesFolly (on Instagram, too) and GamerGirlLexi (check her photos) for accepting my request, taking the photos and sending me all the details I asked for. You are amazing!

Anyways, the interview is both in English and Spanish. Let's start!

Hello and thanks for doing the interview! It is an honor having you!
Hi, everyone! Thanks for having me. It is a pleasure to be here! My name is Puppetkuhi, and it's OK to call me Kuhi. I release my resin eyes under its own brand name, All That Glitters (ATG Eyes). I sculpt dolls, too, but I've not posted very much about this part of my work internationally, so I don't think very many people know.
¡Hola, y gracias por hacer la entrevista! ¡Es un honor tenerte aquí!
¡Hola a todos! Gracias por invitarme. ¡Es un placer estar aquí! Mi nombre es Puppetkuhi, pero pueden decirme Kuhi. Mis ojos de uretano tienen su propia marca, All That Gliters (ATG Eyes). También hago muñecas, pero no las he publicitado demasiado de forma internacional, así que no creo que muchos las conozcan.

BadDoll Olivia & Goat Olivia, by Kuhi.


Starting with the basics, how did you find out about BJDs?
I remember the exact moment I heard about BJD for the first time. I was in high school and hanging out with friends. One of them casually name-dropped BJD and I had no idea what it was. I played it cool in the moment but I felt *profoundly* uncool. When I got home I dashed to the computer to find out what it was. What I saw was so awesome!!!! I wanted one very much but being a high school student, that was out of my reach, so I very tenderly relegated it to a back-burner in my mind.
For a few years afterwards I focused on other things, but was often thinking about these dolls. Then near the end of college, I stumbled across Yoshida Ryo’s book, wherein it described the whole doll-making process and my interests in BJDs were rekindled, but this time in a different way. I didn't just want to buy them now; I wanted to make them, too! There was a lot of researching and faltering steps and I would say this phase will persist for a long time after this interview!
Comenzando con lo básico, ¿cómo descubriste las BJDs?
Recuerdo el momento exacto en el que oí sobre las BJD por primera vez. Fue en el instituto cuando estaba con amigos. Uno de ellos mencionó casualmente las BJD y yo no tenía idea de qué era. En el momento intenté seguir la corriente, pero no me sentía *nada* cool. Cuando llegué a casa corrí a la computadora para buscar qué era. ¡¡¡Y lo que ví era maravilloso!!! Quería una con mucho ahínco, pero siendo una estudiante estaba fuera de mi alcance, así que lo relegué al fondo de mi cabeza.
Por los años siguientes me concentré en otras cosas, pero a menudo pensaba en estas muñecas. Luego, cerca de terminar la universidad, encontré el libro de Yoshida Ryo donde describe el proceso de crear una BJD, y me interés revivió, pero de una forma distinta. Ahora no quería comprarlas ¡también quería hacerlas! Tuve muchos pasos de investigación y fallos, y diré que esa fase continuará persistiendo por mucho tiempo luego de esta entrevista.

NaturesFolly custom Narin boy, wearing ATG Eyes (10/3mm, custom gray color)


Before you made eyes, you made BJDs! Can you tell us about them?
That's right! Before I became an eye-maker, I was making dolls. In the beginning I didn't cast my dolls. They mostly remained in their stone clay originals that I primed and painted. At this point I had a range in sizes but I was unhappy with the quality of my work. It was also becoming obvious that I enjoyed working in very small scales. Some of the first things I sold were not dolls but fantasy accessories (horns, ears, etc).
Later, I had two sculpts I felt were improvements over my earlier work, and they were my thumb-sized Nanako (1/24 scale) and a 1/12-sized doll named Olivia. These were made into resin forms and sold. I have two 1/3-scale heads from this period that I also have in resin forms --- a boy named Ku and a girl named Kashi --- but these two were sold in very small numbers. In preparing to sell a sculpt, I needed to send my dolls out for painting; I needed to buy wigs and clothes and...ah yes, eyes! I could find eyes for my other dolls, but Nanako stumped me.
When I designed Nanako, I wanted her to be 6cm tall. When I finished, she ended up being 6.5cm tall, but even then it was difficult buying eyes for her. I scoured the market and came up with very few options. Among these, the best-looking one was a pair of glass eyes I'd purchased secondhand from a friend. I was very impressed with it, but it had a few disqualifying faults.
Lampwork glass is actually quite dark, and to compensate for it the dome can be made higher to concentrate more light onto the bottom of the iris. In larger eyes it is beautiful because this higher dome also makes the pupil appear to track you across the room. But in Nanako, the dome prevented the eyes from sitting flush in the eye-well. In a 4mm pair of eyes, the higher dome only negligibly let in additional light. As a result of this the iris was not only very dark but the lovely gradation of color in larger glass eyes could barely be seen in the 4mm pair. Moreover, small asymmetries that I wouldn't notice in larger eyes existed in the pair and it made positioning the eyes difficult.
I still love glass eyes very much and I love collecting glass eyes from eye makers. But when I made Nanako it became necessary for me to make the eyes with the effects I needed.
¡Antes de hacer ojos, hacías BJDs! ¿Qué puedes contarnos de ellas?
¡Así es! Antes de hacer ojos, estuve hacienda muñecas. Al principio no las casteaba yo misma. A menudo permanecían en sus originales de masilla, a las cuales aplicaba primer y pintaba. En este punto tuve un buen rango de tamaños, pero no estaba conforme con la calidad de mi trabajo. Se estaba volviendo obvio que disfrutaba trabajar en escalas muy pequeñas. Algunas de las primeras cosas que vendí no eran muñecas, sino accesorios de fantasía (cuernos, orejas, etc.).
Luego, hice dos moldes que creí eran mejoras sobre mi trabajo anterior, y ellas son mis muñecas tamaño-pulgar Nanako (escala 1/24) y otra 1/12 llamada Olivia. Ambas fueron hechas en resina y vendidas. Tengo dos cabezas 1/3 de ese período que también tengo en forma de resina ---un chico llamado Ku y una chica nombrada Kashi--- pero estos dos fueron vendidos en números muy pequeños. En prepararme para vender un molde, tenía que enviar mis muñecas para pintarlas, comprar pelucas y… ah, ojos! Podía encontrarlos para mis otras muñecas, pero no para Nanako.
Cuando diseñé a Nanako, quería que fuera de 6cm de alto. Cuando terminé, tenía 6.5cm, pero aún así era complicado comprarle ojos. Revisé el mercado y encontré algunas escasas opciones. Entre estos, los que mejor se vein eran unos ojos de vidrio de segunda mano que compré a un amigo. Quedé impresionada con ellos, pero tenían algunas fallas graves.
El trabajo con lámparas es de hecho oscuro, y para compensar el domo tiene que ser más alto para concentrar la luz en la base del iris. En ojos grandes es hermoso porque el domo alto hace que la pupila parezca que te sigue en la habitación. Pero en Nanako, el domo prevenía que los ojos se acomodaran bien. En un par de 4mm, un domo alto apenas dejaba pasar luz. Como resultado, el iris era muy oscuro y el hermoso degradado de los ojos grandes, era apenas visible. Además, existían asimetrías que no se notarían en un ojo grande, lo que dificultaban el posicionamiento.
Aún amo los ojos de vidrio y me encanta coleccionarlos de distintos creadores. Pero cuando hice a Nanako, se volvió una necesidad tener ojos con el efecto que necesitaba.

BadDoll Nanako, sculpted by Kuhi.

BadDoll Ku (left) and Kashi (right), 1/3 heads sculpted by Kuhi.


And because of your tiny dolls, you started making eyes! What do you currently offer in eyes?
I make my eyes out of resin. The type of resin is specifically chosen for its limpidity and every batch is also individually checked. Sizes begin from 3mm up to 10mm in 1mm increments. Each size has 2 or 3 standard iris size options and 2 pupil size options. Irises colors are available in 30 regular colors. For irises bigger than 3mm in diameter, white radiating lines can be added to the iris as an option. For irises bigger than 5mm, the iris can be made with white radiating lines or 3d textures. Eyes can be made with or without pupils. Default pupil color is black. Colorized pupils are available on request. Pupils come in 2 options: small pupil and large pupil. The dome is kept a naturalistic shape on purpose, to make sure eyes can fit into small eye-wells. The iris divot is concave so that the eyes still have a tracking effect. Shimmer is added to increase reflectance; or alternately, eyes can be made without shimmer or with reduced shimmer.
Y debido a tus muñecas pequeñas, ¡comenzaste a hacer ojos! ¿Qué es lo que ofreces en ojos?
Hago ojos de resina. El tipo de resina la elijo específicamente por su claridad, y cada encargo lo reviso individualmente. Los tamaños comienzan desde 3mm hasta 10mm, en incrementos de 1mm. Cada tamaño tiene dos o tres opciones de iris, y dos opciones de pupila. Los colores de iris están disponibles en 30 colores regulares. Para los que son mayores a 3mm de diámetro, se pueden agregar líneas blancas como una opción. Para los irises mayores a 5mm, se puede hacer con líneas blancas o texturas en 3D. Los ojos se pueden hacer con o sin pupilas. El color por defecto es negro, y las colorizadas están disponibles por pedidos. Las pupilas vienen en dos opciones: pequeña y grande. El domo se mantiene en una forma natural a propósito, para asegurarme que el ojo puede entrar bien en cuencas pequeñas. El iris es cóncavo para que el ojo tenga un efecto de rastreo. Agrego brillos para incrementar el reflejo o alternativamente puedo hacerlo sin o reducir la cantidad de glitter.

AraDolls' Akhmel Xiro, wearing ATG Eyes in 5/2.1mm. Colors gray and yellow.


Do you accept special requests, or work with a color chart?
Absolutely! A sizable portion of my work consists of special requests. I will happily make any combination of eye size, iris size, and pupil size. The largest custom diameter I’ve made is 16mm, at time of writing. Custom colors requires a caveat: I will happily do a custom color but color can be a bit unpredictable!
I cannot ensure that a color will appear the same on my screen as on a customer’s screen, but I will check the image on as many screens as I can manage. But after that, eyes are made under my local lighting condition and then displayed under the customer's lighting condition and in dolls whose colorations and faceups have their own effect! Please be aware!
I have done custom pupil shapes, as well, such as cat pupils and square-oval pupils!
¿Aceptas pedidos especiales, o sólo trabajas con tu carta de colores?
¡Por supuesto! Una gran porción de mi trabajo se refiere a pedidos especiales. Alegremente hago cualquier combinación de tamaños de ojos, iris y pupilas. El diámetro más grande que he hecho es 16mm, al momento de escribir esto. Los colores personalizados tienen algo: ¡hare cualquier color, pero éstos pueden ser impredecibles!
No puede asegurar que un color aparezca de la misma forma en mi pantalla que en la del cliente, pero voy a revisar la foto en tantas pantallas como pueda. Luego de eso, los ojos son hechos con mi luz local, y luego vistos en las condiciones del cliente, cuyas muñecas, resinas y maquillajes pueden afectar cómo se ve el color. ¡Por favor, tengan cuidado!
He hecho formas personalizadas de pupilas, como de gato y ovales.

Fantasywoods' SIO2 Bleater, wearing ATG Eyes with custom pupils.


Do you have any workplace? What is the process of making the eyes?
If an order is for a pair of eyes that is regularly available in my shop, I will simply inspect the molds to determine whether they’re in good condition. If they are, I can begin pouring resin! Otherwise, I will have to make a brand new mold, and sometimes it means making the prototype from scratch as well.
One of the things I learned is that the shape of the depression for the iris is very important. Striking a good combination of depth and shape was, for my own work at least, the first step in making the end result look believable and have a pleasing gradation of colors. I usually make several prototypes, mold them and make test eyes out of all of them and discard everything but the best candidate. I can usually get two dozen casts out of a good mold, and sometimes I can mold a prototype a few times. But eventually molds and prototypes lose definition or become scratched and new ones need to be made.
After I have a mold for the order I cast the base of the eye in resin. This part is simple. I only need to make sure there are no air bubbles in the cast or any dust caught on the surface of the resin. I paint the iris after the base is de-molded, and at this stage shimmer is added according to the needs of the customer. White radiating lines, if the customer ordered them, are also added at this time.
Pupils are made separately, either in their own molds if the pupils are big, or hand-formed individually if they’re small. Because the lens enlarges the pupil’s appearance, it is sometimes necessary to make a few pupils and create test eyes to make sure the pupils conform to measurements in the final product.
In the next step, clear resin is added for the lens in the amount needed to also form the dome above it. I pop air bubbles and lift out stray dust before the resin becomes too tacky for manipulation, then all the eyes are placed under a protective cover, to cure.
Finally, each pair of eyes is inspected for symmetry, visual qualities, measurements, centeredness, and so on! If everything had gone smoothly I will have a finished pair of eyes ready to ship!
I have moved residence recently. My work area is even more messy than usual because of this. My work is supervised by Fluffy Nugget who is a Light-vented Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis). Fluffy Nugget is kept away if there is dust or fumes. though.
¿Tienes algún lugar de trabajo? ¿Cuál es tu proceso para hacer los ojos?
Si un pedido es para un par de ojos habitualmente disponible en mi tienda, simplemente inspecciono los moldes para asegurarme que están en buenas condiciones. Si lo están ¡puedo comenzar a echar la resina! De otra forma, tengo que hacer un molde Nuevo, y eso a veces implica hacer el prototipo desde cero.
Una de las cosas que he aprendido es que la forma de la depresión del iris es muy importante. Lograr una buena combinación de profundidad y forma fue, al menos para mi propio trabajo, el primer paso en lograr que el resultado final fuera creíble y tuviera un gradiente placentero. Usualmente hago varios prototipos, los moldes, y luego ojos de prueba en todos ellos, y los descarto, guardando el mejor candidato. A menudo obtengo dos docenas de casteos de un buen molde, y puedo hacer un molde de un prototipo unas pocas veces. Pero eventualmente pierden definición o se raspan, así que debo hacer nuevos.
Luego de tener el molde, hago la base en resina. Esta parte es sencilla. Sólo tengo que asegurarme que no haya burbujas o polvo atrapado en la superficie de la resina. Pinto el iris cuando la base está fuera del molde. En este paso agrego el glitter de acuerdo a las necesidades del cliente. Las líneas blancas, si se solicitaron, también se agregan aquí.
Las pupilas son hechas por separado, en sus moldes individuales, si son grandes, o a mano si son pequeñas. Dado que el lente agranda la apariencia de la pupila, a veces es necesario hacer varias y probarlas en ojos de prueba para asegurarme que tienen las medidas del producto final.
En el siguiente paso, agrego resina transparente para el domo, en la cantidad necesaria para formarlo. Quito las burbujas de aire y saco el polvo antes de que se vuelva demasiado pegajoso para manipularlo, y luego todos los ojos van bajo una cubierta protectora para que se sequen.
Finalmente, cada par es inspeccionado para ver la simetría, cualidades visuales, medidas, si está centrado, ¡y otras cosas! ¡Todo tiene que estar bien si quiero tener un par de ojos listo para enviar!
Me he mudado recientemente. Mi área de trabajo es más enredada que antes por culpa de esto. Mi trabajo es supervisado por Fluffy Nugget, que es un Bulbul (Pycnonotus sinensis). Sin embargo, Fluffy Nugget se mantiene lejos si hay polvo u olores.



What is the biggest challenge you have found in making doll eyes?
There’s a lot of squinting and holding of breath, to be sure. Sometimes a drill bit swerves and creates an irregular shape. Sometimes it is because a fleck of dust is caught and couldn’t be lifted out. And sometimes things shift around while the resin cures or the resin cures imperfectly. When these things happen I would have to backtrack and restart the process.
The weather often interrupts production. I live in the tropics and our baseline humidity is 80%. Usually I can work with this, but there are weather phenomena throughout the year that causes humidity to swell above 95%. When this happens, resin cures into a cloudy white color, and I am forced to stop and wait out the weather.
Unexpectedly, putting together the color chart was the hardest thing I’d ever done. I don’t understand photography at all and do not own a camera. When I need to take photographs, I do it with my phone or borrow a camera from a family member. When I do the latter I often need to use my phone to take photos of the camera so I can get advice on how to operate it. It was determined over several weekends that the camera I’d been borrowing wasn’t capable of capturing detail and wasn’t a DSLR. Then a technique was shown to me where I could still use that same camera to capture detail if I could borrow a DSLR lens. So I borrowed a DSLR lens and this is what I did.
I attached all 30 eyes with putty to individual cards so they could be propped up against a wall. The borrowed DSLR lens was balanced on some books, in front of the eyes, but facing the reverse direction. Then I held my borrowed camera and photographed the eyes through the reversed DSLR lens. When I finished with all 30 eyes, the photographs were sent to a friend who corrected the color for me. And these images became the color chart in my Etsy listing. I have not been adding more images to the color chart, despite having more colors available, because I don’t know if I can do this whole process again so soon…
¿Cuál es el desafío más grande que has encontrado en hacer ojos de muñecas?
Hay mucho de achicar los ojos y mantener la respiración, de hecho. A veces el taladro se pasa y crea una forma irregular. O es una mota de polvo que quedó atrapada y no puede quitarse. Y a veces las cosas se mueven cuando los ojos se están curando, y la resina cura de forma imperfecta. Cuando esto sucede, tengo que volver atrás y reiniciar el proceso.
El clima a menudo interrumpe la producción. Vivo en el trópico y la base de humedad es de 80%. Usualmente puedo trabajar con esto, pero hay fenómenos climáticos en todo el año que hacen que suba a 95%. Cuando esto sucede, la resina cura en un blanco nuboso, y me veo forzada a detenerme y esperar el clima.
De forma inesperada, armar la carta de colores fue lo más difícil que he hecho. No comprendo de fotografía y no tengo una cámara. Cuando tengo que sacar fotos lo hago con mi teléfono o pido prestada una a un familar. Cuando hago lo último, a menudo tengo que sacarle fotos a la cámara con mi celular para poder pedir consejos de cómo usarla. Estuve determinada por varios fines de semana en que la cámara que había pedido prestada no era capaz de sacar fotos en detalle y que no era una DSLR. Me mostraron una técnica en la cual la misma cámara se usaba para capturar detalle, si podía conseguir un objetivo. Así que lo pedí prestado, y esto fue lo que hice.
Pegué los 30 ojos con putty en cartas individuales, para poder pararlos contra la pared. El objetivo de la DSLR quedó balanceado con algunos libros, frente al ojo, pero enfocando la dirección contraria. Luego sostuve mi cámara prestada y fotografié los ojos a través del objetivo invertido. Cuando terminé con los 30 ojos, envié las fotos a un amigo que corrigió el color. Y estas son las fotos de mi carta de colores en Etsy. No he agregado más imágenes, a pesar de tener más colores disponibles, porque no se si puedo hacer todo este proceso de nuevo tan pronto…

GamerGirlLexi's Dollshe Amanda with ATG Eyes in 8mm (left) and MDR Mousse with ATG Eyes in 6mm (right).


Do you have any future plans for your dolls?
I released one of my sculpts, Olivia, through my Etsy. It was sold in Human Version (with human ears and human body) and Goat Version (with goat ears and legs and tail). I am working towards a re-release of Olivia currently, and adding a Long-Hair Goat version to her fantasy parts!
¿Tienes planes a future para tus muñecas?
Publiqué una de ellas, Olivia, en mi Etsy. Se vendió la versión humana (con orejas y cuerpo humano) y la Versión Cabra (con orejas, patas y cola de cabra). Estoy trabajando en un re-release de Olivia, agregando una versión de cabello largo a sus partes de fantasía.

BadDoll Olivia, human version, sculpted by Kuhi.


Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
After seeing a video where the lampwork artist Cathy Richardson weld glass pieces with a handheld torch and tweezers, I tried it out with a butane cooking torch in my bathroom and it was a thrilling experience! I made a bean first and then made a small bird in honor of Fluffy Nugget. I was sad that there were soot marks in the glass. I now know that was because the cooking torch didn’t provide a “clean” fire required for lampwork. I would like to do more in this area and have purchased some materials and booked classes. I can’t wait to do more!
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
Luego de ver un video de la artista de vidrio Cathy Richardson uniendo partes de vidrio con una antorcha de mano y pinzas, intenté hacerlo con una antorcha de butano en mi baño ¡y fue una experiencia increíble! Primero hice un poroto, y luego un pequeño pajarito en honor de Fluffy Nugget. Me quedé triste por unas marcas en el vidrio. Ahora sé que es porque mi antorna no proveía el fuego “limpio” requerido para este trabajo. Me gustaría hacer más en esta área y he comprador materiales y me he registrado para lecciones. ¡No puedo esperar a hacer más!


Thank you for doing the interview! :D 
Thank you to everyone who sent in photos! And thank you for having me 8D
¡Gracias por hacer la entrevista! :D
¡Gracias a todos los que enviaron fotos de dueños! Y gracias a ti por invitarme 8D



BadDoll Nanako, sculpted by Kuhi.

And this was all the interview for today! Here is a summary of Kuhi's BJDs, under the brand name BadDoll:
  • 1/3 Heads: Ku & Kashi
  • Thumbelina Series (1/24): Pea, Nanako (normal, sleeping, cat) in resin and porcelain.
  • 1/12 Series: Olivia, human and goat. Produced in normal and tan resin.
Also, feel free to share the interview but do not repost it! If you want to translate it to yet another language, let me know first. And as a tradition, here are some links to find Kuhi:
Have an awesome new month, everyone! Thanks for reading and a special thanks to those who sent it owner photos. It means a lot!

6 comments :

  1. Your interviews are a joy to read and I learn a lot and find new places to visit, favorite and have on my wishlist - to shop later on.
    Thank you! These eyes are really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I'm so happy you think so!!! :D
      I love sharing artist and companies and helping people to know them!

      Delete
  2. Disfruté mucho esta entrevista. El trabajo de esta artista es maravilloso

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this! I especially enjoy seeing progress pictures ~ :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed it!! Progress and workspaces photos are my faves, too :D

      Delete